In a hurry? Our top choice is the Lifeboost Biotics Cold Brew coffee!
Choosing the best coffee for IBS isn’t easy.
With so many variables, blends, and caffeine content, it can be hard to narrow down your search.
After nearly five years in the coffee industry, I’ve picked up a few recommendations on what to look for.
In this article, we’ll go over a few good options for coffee you should try.
Let’s jump in!
Top 9 Coffees for Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Lifeboost Biotics Cold Brew (Best Overall)
- Volcanica Komodo Dragon Coffee (Best Medium Roast)
- Lifeboost Organic Medium Roast Coffee (Most Versatile)
- Volcanica Sumatra Gayo Peaberry Coffee (Most Flavorful Coffee)
- Royal Kona Private Reserve Medium Roast 100% Kona Coffee (Best For Special Occasions)
- Lifeboost Dark Roast Decaf (Best Dark Roast)
- Volcanica Sumatra Decaf Coffee Mandheling (Best Decaf Coffee)
- Hawaiian Lion 100% Ka’u Coffee (Best Hawaiian Coffee)
- Lifeboost Half Caff Coffee Pods (Best Single-Serve Pods)
Lifeboost Biotics Cold Brew
One way to ease IBS symptoms from coffee consumption is to look for a cold brew.
Cold brews have naturally lower acidity than hot coffees, which might help ease your IBS symptoms.
And if you’ve never made cold brew before, don’t worry!
The thing is, this Lifeboost coffee is almost a cold brew kit. This coffee is specifically designed for making cold brews, and instructions on how to brew it are included.
Not only that, but this blend has probiotics added to it. That makes this coffee not only low acid but also easier to digest.
And because it’s specifically designed for cold brew, this coffee will be consistent, easy, and delicious each time you brew.
Plus, it’s still a USDA Organic-certified coffee. That means you can rest assured that this coffee was held to high production standards all the way through.
The only thing to note is that this coffee isn’t super versatile. It’s meant only for cold brew, which means that it doesn’t taste awesome if you brew it hot.
- Cold brew coffees like this one are low-acid and generally easier to digest than hot coffees
- This cold brew blend has added probiotics to promote healthy digestion
- It’s a coffee specifically designed for cold brew, which means that each time you brew, it will be consistent, delicious, and easy
- It’s still USDA Organic certified, which means it was held to high production standards
- You kind of have to brew cold brew, so this coffee doesn’t work great when brewed hot
Volcanica Komodo Dragon Coffee
I’ll always try Volcanica’s coffees. The consistency and quality of Volcanica are hard to beat.
This coffee is another winner in the lineup. The notes of fresh tobacco, cocoa, and florals are spot on and delicious. I’d recommend this to anyone, not just someone looking for an easily digestible coffee.
The semi-washed processing of this coffee means it has a full and rounded flavor profile. It doesn’t get muddled or confused.
And this is certainly a low acid coffee. That means it’s easier on the stomach than coffee with a more acidic ph level.
On top of all of that, it’s still a single-origin Indonesian coffee. That means that you’ll still get a focused and specific Indonesian flavor profile.
The only downside is that this is still a fully caffeinated coffee. If you’re especially sensitive to caffeine, this might not be the best choice.
- Tasting notes of fresh tobacco, cocoa, and florals are spot on and delicious in this blend
- The semi-washed processing means this coffee has a full and rounded flavor profile
- This coffee is a low-acid coffee, which means it’s easier on the stomach than a blend of higher-acidity coffees
- It’s a single-origin Indonesian coffee, so you get a full and specific Indonesian flavor profile
- The only downside is that this is still fully caffeinated coffee, so if you’re sensitive to caffeine, it’s not the best choice
Lifeboost Organic Medium Roast Coffee
Lifeboost has been around for a little while now. And it’s been a consistent roaster since day one.
This Organic Medium Roast is a phenomenal all-around coffee. It tastes great, has mellow acidity, and drinks very smoothly, no matter how you brew it.
The medium roast takes away some of the acidity. That makes this coffee a little easier to digest than a lighter roast.
Plus, it’s a single-origin Nicaraguan coffee. That means you get a full and specific Nicaraguan flavor profile. You’ll get notes of chocolate, orange, and toffee.
And it’s 100% Arabica beans. Arabica beans are tastier than Robusta beans. But Arabica beans also have less caffeine. Less caffeine means it might be easier to drink than a Robusta/Arabica blend.
Lastly, this is a Fair Trade-certified coffee. It was certainly held to high production standards.
The only thing to note is that this is still a fully caffeinated coffee. Full-caffeine coffees might aggravate IBS symptoms.
- The medium roast takes away some of the acidity you’d find in a lighter roast, which makes this coffee easier to digest
- It’s a single-origin Nicaraguan coffee, which means you get a full and specific Nicaraguan flavor profile
- It’s 100% Arabica beans, which have less caffeine and are easier to drink than Robusta beans or Robusta/Arabica blends
- This is a certified Fair Trade coffee, which means it was held to high production standards
- It’s still a full-caffeine coffee, which might aggravate IBS symptoms if you’re especially sensitive
Volcanica Sumatra Gayo Peaberry Coffee
Let’s talk about peaberry coffee beans.
It’s a natural mutation in which a coffee cherry produces one big coffee bean instead of the typical two smaller ones. It doesn’t often happen, which makes it rare and desirable.
The other thing that memes peaberry coffee desirable is the fact that it’s super flavorful. I mean, it really packs a punch.
The notes of this peaberry are caramel, peach, and cacao nib. Those notes are spot on and really tasty in the cup.
It’s got a nice balance to the profile. Perfect for drinking black. It’s a great coffee for cutting back on dairy consumption.
And the medium roast helps keep everything mellow and smooth. It isn’t too acidic or too bitter.
Lastly, the washed processing of this coffee keeps the flavors crisp and clear.
The only thing is that it’s still a fully caffeinated coffee. It’s not the best option for someone especially sensitive to caffeine.
- Peaberry coffee beans are big and pack a ton of flavor, which makes them a great option for drinking black
- The notes of caramel, peach, and cacao nib are perfect and nicely balanced in the cup
- The medium roast keeps things mellow and balanced, so the coffee isn’t super acidic and isn’t too bitter either
- The washed process keeps the coffee crisp and clear in the flavor profile, nothing gets muddled
- It is still a fully caffeinated coffee, which means it’s not a good choice for someone especially sensitive to caffeine
Royal Kona Private Reserve Medium Roast 100% Kona Coffee
Kona coffee comes from the Kona region of Hawaii, and it consistently is among the best coffees in the world.
The quality, taste, and scarcity make it a great coffee.
The dark roast of this coffee takes away a lot of the acidity, which keeps the flavors bold and rich.
But the dark roast also takes away some of the caffeine. That’s perfect if you’re especially sensitive to higher caffeine content.
Plus, because Hawaiian coffee is so consistent, you don’t need to worry about the quality of the beans you’re getting from bag to bag. They’ll all be amazing.
And it is certainly a single-origin Hawaiian coffee. These beans aren’t blended with inferior beans from other parts of Hawaii or the world.
The only downside is that because of the quality, these beans are expensive. It’s best to save this coffee for a special occasion.
- The dark roast takes away a lot of acidity in this coffee, which helps keep it rich, bold, and intense
- Hawaiian coffee is some of the best in the world, so you’re getting a truly incredible coffee with each bag that you buy
- It’s a single-origin Hawaiian coffee, which means that these Kona beans aren’t blended with inferior beans from other parts of Hawaii or the world
- The darker roast also means less caffeine, which is great if you are especially sensitive to caffeine
- Because it’s such a desirable coffee, you pay a premium for quality, it’s best saved for a special occasion
Lifeboost Dark Roast Decaf
Lifeboost uses a great decaffeination process called the Swiss Water Process.
The Swiss Water Process involves using water instead of chemicals to decaffeinate coffee beans.
The idea behind this is to preserve the taste of the coffee while still taking away almost all of the caffeine.
In traditional decaffeination processes, you’ll end up with an off taste. Usually, the beans taste like chemicals or simply nothing at all.
This particular coffee retains a good flavor profile.
Plus, it’s roasted in small batches to ensure the freshest possible roast.
And because it has almost no caffeine, you don’t have to worry as much about IBS symptoms brought on by caffeine.
Lastly, this coffee is USDA Organic, and Fair Trade certified. That means it was held to high production standards.
The only downside is that you lose some of the more unique flavor characteristics to decaffeination that you don’t in a full-caffeine version.
- The Swiss Water process keeps this coffee tasty and rich without sacrificing the flavor profile
- It’s roasted in small batches, so you can be certain you’re getting the freshest possible roast each time you buy a bag
- Because it has very little caffeine, you don’t have to worry so much about IBS symptoms caused by caffeine
- It’s certified USDA Organic and by Fair Trade, so you can be sure that throughout production, it was held to high standards
- You do lose some of the unique flavor characteristics in the Swiss Water Process
Volcanica Sumatra Decaf Coffee Mandheling
On the subject of the Swiss Water Process, Volcanica makes a phenomenal single-origin decaffeinated coffee.
The Decaf Mandheling is a great addition to Volcanica’s lineup.
It is a Swiss Water Process coffee. That means that only water was used to decaffeinate this coffee. No chemicals were used at all.
That preserves the coffee’s flavors. Using chemicals would mean you get almost no flavors or a chemical aftertaste.
The medium roast keeps this coffee mellow and balanced. It’s perfect for daily brewing, no matter your preferred brewing method.
The washed process keeps the flavors crisp and clear in your cup.
And the notes of mellow earth and subtle sweetness are spot on and actually pretty unique for a decaf coffee.
The only downside is that Indonesian coffee is rather plain, so you’ll get pretty typical flavors and nothing exciting or new.
- The Swiss Water process takes away most of the caffeine without taking away the flavor profile
- The medium roast keeps this coffee mellow and balanced, perfect for daily brewing
- The washed process keeps the flavors crisp and clear in your cup, no matter how you like to brew your coffee
- The notes of mellow earth and subtle sweetness are spot on and actually pretty unique for a decaf coffee
- The Indonesian flavor profile is pretty plain, especially when it comes to decaf coffee
Hawaiian Lion 100% Ka’u Coffee
Lion Coffee is one of the oldest roasters in the United States.
And it’s been doing Hawaiian coffee for a long, long time.
This Ka’u coffee is another winner.
The tasting notes of brown sugar, currant, and citrus aromas are spot on and pretty ideal for a smooth and mellow cup of coffee.
These beans are grown in pretty similar conditions to the more famous Kona coffee beans. That means that the beans themselves are high-quality and very tasty.
And the consistency from bag to bag isn’t an issue.
The medium roast that Lion uses is nice and balanced. It isn’t too bitter and certainly isn’t too acidic.
The syrupy mouthfeel and intense body make it perfect for drinking black. That’s especially good for someone trying to cut back on dairy milk.
You should note, however, that while this is Hawaiian coffee, it is definitely not Kona coffee.
- The flavor profile of brown sugar, currant, and citrus aromas are spot on and pretty ideal for a smooth and mellow cup of coffee
- It’s a Hawaiian coffee that’s grown in almost perfect conditions, which means that the quality and consistency of this coffee are great from bag to bag
- The medium roast keeps everything balanced, and even, it isn’t too bitter and certainly isn’t too acidic
- It has a syrupy mouthfeel and an intense body, which makes it perfect for drinking it without milk
- Be aware that while this is still Hawaiian coffee, it isn’t Kona coffee
Lifeboost Half Caff Coffee Pods
Sometimes the convenience of single-serve pods is just too good to pass up.
And I get it. I drank Keurig coffee for years.
Lifeboost has a really solid half-caff single-serve pod coffee.
The half-caffeine content makes it a great option for someone whose IBS symptoms get worse with caffeine in regular coffee.
And these pods work with any Keurig. It doesn’t matter if you have a Keurig or a Keurig 2 machine. These pods will still work.
The medium roast that Lifeboost uses is smooth and delicious. None of the flavors overwhelm the cup. You’re left with a mellow and balanced coffee with each brew.
The pods themselves are recyclable. That helps lower the environmental impact of drinking single-serve coffee pods.
The only downside is that the blended beans flatten the flavor profile. Nothing about these flavors pops. It’s just a classic, smooth coffee.
- These pods are compatible with any Keurig machine, which means that no matter the machine you have, these pods will work
- The lower caffeine content means these pods are great for someone whose IBS symptoms get worse with more caffeine
- The medium roast keeps the pods balanced and smooth, no flavors overwhelm the profile
- The pods are recyclable, lowering the environmental impact of drinking single-serve coffee pods
- Because of the blended beans, the flavor profile is pretty muted, and nothing stands out about it
How To Buy The Right Coffee For IBS
Look, it can be tricky to truly narrow down the options.
Let’s take a brief look at how you can go about actually pulling the trigger and making a decision.
Which Roast Is Best?
Each roast level has its own characteristics and best uses.
What you need to figure out is which roast levels work best for you.
There are many types of IBS, and each person experiences symptoms differently.
So, it’s hard for me to say what works best. But I can give you some guidelines.
Lighter roasts tend to have slightly higher caffeine content. But darker roasts tend to be richer and have a more intense body.
it’s best to experiment with a few different roast levels to see what actually works best for you. Lighter roasts might have more caffeine, while darker roasts have more intensity.
Does Origin Matter?
The truth is that a coffee’s origin doesn’t do a whole lot in terms of ph acidity or caffeine content. Those are probably the biggest factors in determining if coffee will exacerbate IBS symptoms.
So the bottom line here is that the roast level might matter more than the country of origin.
However, keep in mind that different origins have different flavors. There might be a combination of roast level and blend that works best for your personal symptoms.
IN A NUTSHELL
Try out a few combinations of origin countries, roast levels, and blends to really get a sense of what works.
Does Caffeine Matter?
Yes. Caffeine might make the biggest difference when it comes to coffee and IBS.
Caffeine intake increases gut motility (your need to “go”). People with IBS sometimes already have higher motility, which can be made worse by drinking coffee high in caffeine.
Bottom line: If caffeine makes your symptoms worse, find a great decaf coffee that works for you and your gut health.
My Final Verdict
After all of that, the Lifeboost Biotics Cold Brew coffee is the best coffee for IBS.
It’s a medium roast low, acid coffee, especially when you prepare it as a cold brew.
Plus, it has probiotics added, so it’s even more soothing for a sensitive stomach and aids in recovering gut bacteria.
And given that Lifeboost is certified toxins-free and organic coffee, you know that production was held to a high standard.
Overall it’s a solid coffee for an IBS sufferer but for a regular coffee drinker too.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?