These coffee makers are famous for brewing pots of coffee in as little as four minutes.
However, how does a Bunn coffee maker work, and how can you use one yourself?
As a coffee fanatic myself, I’ve put together the complete guide to Bunn coffee brewers.
Keep reading to learn how to use one the right way!
How Do Bunn Coffee Makers Work
A Bunn coffee maker is an automatic machine that uses the pour-over method to prepare coffee.
To put it simply, it’s an automatic drip coffee maker.
There are several models of these coffee makers. So, you can find Bunn machines that prepare anywhere from one cup to 10 cups of coffee.
The reason why Bunn brewers are so popular, however, is that they’re fast. A Bunn coffee maker can brew in as little as four minutes!
The reason for this is that Bunn machines have a large water reservoir at the back and a brew funnel at the front of the machine.
The machine heats the water before brewing so that it can speed up the process of making coffee. This is in contrast to most machines that heat the water while you brew your coffee.
Bunn coffee makers also feature a warming plate under where you would place the carafe. That means you can leave your brew for a while without it going cold.
This coffee machine works very simply. Basically, you just add filtered water to the water reservoir. Then the water runs to the bottom of the tank through a special pipe.
The water in the tank is already hot. So, the water flows up through the pipe and into the spray head.
From there, the spray head pours hot water over the ground coffee beans, much like the manual pour-over method.
How to Use a Bunn Coffee Maker
Bunn coffee makers are very easy to use. All you need is an electrical outlet, water, and ground coffee!
Let’s go over how to set the machine up as well as brew a good cup of coffee for the first time.
Setting It Up
Setting up a Bunn coffee brewer for the first time is pretty simple. You’re essentially going to run a brew cycle with no coffee.
Just remember that the machine should be powered off and unplugged for steps 1-7! Otherwise, the device won’t get set up properly.
With that in mind, here’s how to set your device up:
- Put the empty funnel into position on the machine. There are funnel glides that you can slide the funnel into the device with.
- Fill the carafe.
- Pour cold water from the carafe into the brewer.
- Place the carafe on the base and wait three minutes for the water to drip down into the carafe.
- Open the lid of the reservoir, remove the carafe, and fill it with cold water again.
- Pour the water into the brewer and put the carafe back on the base.
- Let the water flow through the brewer. When the water stops flowing, pour it out of the carafe and put the carafe back on the base.
Once you’ve finished these steps, you can plug in and switch your machine on. Allow the machine to heat up for about 15 minutes.
When the time is up, you’re ready to get to work brewing your first cup of coffee.
Brewing the Perfect Cup of Coffee
Brewing a cup of coffee with a Bunn coffee maker is easy.
To start, you’ll need:
- Ground coffee beans (can be any type of roast you like)
- Up to 10 cups of fresh water
- Sweetener and milk according to your preferences
With those ingredients in hand, you’re ready to get to work! Here’s how to brew your first cup of coffee:
- Plug in the coffee maker and fill the tank with water according to how many cups of coffee you’ll be making.
- Turn the machine’s heating switch on and allow the coffee maker to heat up. This takes about 15 minutes.
- Next, add a paper filter and ground coffee beans to your coffee filter basket.
- Set the machine to the brew function.
- Once the machine stops dripping, remove the carafe and enjoy your beverage!
When the coffee is ready, you can serve it in your favorite cup and add some sweetener if you wish.
And that’s it. Enjoy your coffee!
How to Clean a Bunn Coffee Maker
If you’re going to use your Bunn coffee maker regularly, you’ve got to know how to clean it.
Otherwise, you’ll be dealing with mineral or even bacteria buildup. Yuck!
For daily cleaning, there are just three quick steps you’ll need to take:
- Rinse the filter basket after each use
- Rinse out the coffee pot after each use
- Clean out the coffee funnels at the end of the day
Besides all that, once a week, you should also:
- Thoroughly rinse all equipment
- Use mild household soap to clean the exterior of the coffee maker
- Check that the spray heads aren’t clogged
- Wash the brew carafe and funnel in the dishwasher
Just these small steps should be enough to keep your machine working properly!
Descaling the Bunn Coffee Maker
Remember what I said about mineral buildup?
Well, the way to get rid of that is by descaling your coffee maker.
Descaling gets rid of mineral deposits within your machine. That way, your Bunn machine’s pipes don’t get clogged.
Here’s how to descale your machine:
- Mix a solution of one part vinegar to two parts water.
- Turn off your coffee machine and unplug it from the wall.
- Remove the spray head from the machine.
- Use a descaling probe to remove mineral buildup from inside the spray head. (Take your time on this step!)
- Any remaining mineral deposits can be removed from the spray head with a toothpick or small puncture object.
- Use your descaling probe to clean out the spray head housing.
- Rinse the spray head and replace it.
- Pour the descaling solution into your coffee maker’s water tank and start a brewing cycle. This will get rid of the lime deposit inside the machine.
- Run a few water-only brew cycles until you rinse all of the descaling solution’s smell and taste.
From there, you’re good to get back to using your machine as normal and brewing delicious coffee!
Do you have a few more questions about the Bunn coffee machine?
Check out these handy FAQs to clear up any last-minute questions on your mind!
Should I Leave My Bunn Coffee Maker on All the Time?
In theory, you can leave your Bunn coffee maker on all the time. But doing so can cause bacteria to proliferate. It can also make your coffee taste stale when you brew it. The best plan is to empty the water tank after each use and refill it before brewing coffee.
Does a Bunn Coffee Maker Use a Lot of Electricity?
Bunn brewer uses more electricity than most standard coffee machines. This is because the brewing process is much faster than with your standard machine. However, it can lead to hefty electrical bills.
Why Is My Bunn Coffee Maker Not Getting Hot Enough?
If you notice that your coffee maker doesn’t make hot coffee, your hot water heater is probably broken or faulty. Alternatively, the control board, thermal fuses, or water heater switches might not be working.
If this type of problem ever occurs, it’s best to contact customer service. In most cases, you’ll have to replace or repair some of the parts that don’t work correctly in the coffee maker.
So, how does a Bunn coffee maker work?
As it turns out, all you have to do is add coffee to the coffee ground department. Then, add filtered water to the reservoir, close the lid, and the machine will do the rest!
Just remember to clean your machine out afterward. That way, you’ll have no issues continuing to brew your morning beverages.
Want to find the best Bunn coffee maker? Check out the top picks in our extensive guide on buying Bunn coffee makers.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?