In a hurry? Our top pick for the best coffee thermos is the Stanley Classic Vacuum Insulated Wide Mouth Bottle.
The worst thing about leaving the house is being away from your favorite coffee maker.
But, you can enjoy your coffee on the go, too.
You just need a good thermos.
Finding a dependable thermos, however, is no easy task. There are so many products on the market that won’t keep your coffee hot for longer than it takes you to leave the house.
Lucky for you, I’ve been on a hunt for the best coffee thermos recently. I’ve done some thorough research and found some great models that do everything you need them to.
I’ll also show you what to keep an eye out for when buying a thermos.
Ready to see my picks?
Let’s get started!
Best Coffee Thermos – Our Top 10 Choices
- Stanley Classic Vacuum Insulated Wide Mouth Bottle (Overall Best Coffee Thermos)
- THERMOS Stainless King Vacuum-Insulated Beverage Bottle (Best Large Coffee Thermos)
- Lzznom Stainless Steel Vacuum Coffee Cup with Handle (Best Budget Option)
- Contigo Autoseal West Loop Vacuum-Insulated Stainless Steel Travel Mug (Best For Car Rides)
- Zojirushi SM-SC48HM Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Mug (Best For Running Errands)
- Hydro Flask Coffee Travel Mug (Best For Outdoor Use)
- Tlinna Coffee Thermos With LED Temperature Display (Most Compact Coffee Thermos)
- IRON °FLASK Nomad Tumbler (Most Personalized Coffee Thermos)
- Greens Steel BEAST Insulated Coffee Cup with Lid (Best For Buying As A Gift)
- S’well Stainless Steel Traveler (Most Luxurious Coffee Thermos)
Stanley Classic Vacuum Insulated Wide Mouth Bottle
This brand is known for the invention of an all-steel vacuum flask over 100 years ago.
In fact, the design was so great, the army used large containers that work on the same principle to transport human organs during World War II.
If that doesn’t speak of its insulating ability, I don’t know what does.
This thermos comes in two sizes – 33 and 67 ounces. The former is great for chugging coffee at the office. The latter is more suitable for camping and road trips with friends that also drink coffee religiously.
It’s made of 18/8 stainless steel, so it won’t rust even if you leave it out in the rain.
It’ll also keep your drink hot or cold for up to 24 hours. But if you fill it with ice, it can last up to 5 days! As you can imagine, that really comes in handy on camping trips..
One thing I especially like about this thermos is the lid. It doubles as an 8 ounce cup, which is the same size as a regular mug you use at home.
There’s also a collapsible handle – this is very useful when your hands are wet and slippery.
Plus, you can attach it to the outside of a backpack when not needed, which gives you more space to pack other things inside.
- Two capacity options let you choose a model to match your coffee consumption
- It keeps your brew at the same temperature for 24 hours, which is great for long trips
- A lid doubles as an 8 ounce cup, so you can drink your coffee outside as you would at home
- It’s dishwasher safe, so it’s super quick and easy to clean
- Somewhat heavy to carry around when you’re walking and running errands
THERMOS Stainless King Vacuum-Insulated Beverage Bottle
Nowadays we use the term thermos to define an insulated bottle. But, the name actually comes from the brand that’s best known for making this type of product.
I believe that speaks a lot of the quality this brand offers.
This is a 40 ounce thermos, which is great for the office, or a picnic with your date. It can hold pretty much your daily coffee amount.
It stays at the same temperature for up to 24 hours, which is handy when traveling.
The thermos comes in 9 color options, with matte to glossy variations. So you can definitely find one that suits your style and esthetics.
The collapsible handle is pretty convenient. You can use it to hold your drink or attach it to your equipment, or you can fold it when not needed.
It also has a twist-and-pour stopper, which allows you to pour your drink without removing the stopper completely. If the thermos is full, this helps you avoid spilling your drink everywhere.
Once you’re done drinking, the thermos can be easily disassembled and placed on the top rack of your dishwasher. If you hate doing dishes manually, this is definitely a life-saver.
- 9 colors to choose from, so you can match the thermos to your style
- A 40 ounce capacity makes it a great choice for road trips and offices
- A pour stopper helps you avoid spilling coffee
- The collapsible handle lets you hold your drink while your hands are wet
- Too heavy to carry around with you
Lzznom Stainless Steel Vacuum Coffee Cup with Handle
Considering what it does, it’s no wonder that a thermos costs more than an average mug.
But if you’re not willing to pay more, that’s okay, too. This model is budget-friendly, but it still does a pretty good job at keeping your coffee hot or cold.
For this thermos you don’t have color and size options like you do with other models on this list. It comes in black and it has a 17 ounce capacity, and that’s like a golden standard.
It’s larger than a standard travel mug, so it can satisfy your coffee cravings while you’re strolling through the mall.
I like the fact that this budget-friendly thermos does a better job at retaining temperature than some more expensive models on the list. It proves that you don’t have to pay a lot to get a quality product that does the job well.
The silicone seal ensures the thermos is spill-free, so you can safely store it in your backpack. The lid doubles as a mug, so you can sip your coffee like a lady/gentleman.
The thermos is narrow enough to fit into most car cup holders, so you can drink your coffee while hitting the road. There’s also an attachment point, so you can hang it off your backpack while hiking or even riding a bike.
- It’s so affordable, your wallet won’t even feel it
- Keeps your drink hot or cold for up to 12 hours, so you have plenty of time to drink it
- Thanks to the silicone seal, you can store it wherever without worrying it will spill
- An attachment point allows you to have your hands free while doing outdoor activities
- There’s only one size option – and it might not be large enough for a religious coffee drinker
Contigo Autoseal West Loop Vacuum-Insulated Stainless Steel Travel Mug
The first thing I noticed about this product is that you can get it with or without a handle.
If you prefer drinking from mugs, then getting a model with a handle will give you the same coffee drinking experience you have at home.
Plus, the handle is removable, so you can have the best of both worlds.
This travel mug is 20 ounces big, which is the classic travel mug size. It’s great for running errands or walks in the park.
Your drink will stay hot for up to 7 hours and cold for 18. This might be short compared to some other models, but given the size, I think you have plenty of time to chug down your drink.
The lid locks with a simple push of a button, so even if you knock it over, there’s no way it will spill a single drop of coffee.
When it comes to cleaning, the body needs to be hand washed. While it might sound like a hassle, it’s no more than 2 minutes of your time, trust me. Washing the lid by hand is much harder, but luckily, you can place it on the top rack of your dishwasher.
- You can get this product with or without a handle, depending on how you prefer to hold a cup
- A lid lock prevents you from making a mess by spilling your coffee
- It fits into a car cup holder, so you can drink while driving (I’m talking about coffee!)
- The lid is dishwasher safe, which saves you the hassle of cleaning it by hand
- Keeps your drink hot for a shorter time than some other models
Zojirushi SM-SC48HM Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Mug
I love products that offer different sizes and colors, and this travel mug from Zojirushi doesn’t disappoint when it comes to that.
There are 24 colors and patterns to choose from! From fun and girly to sleek and matte, there’s a model to suit anyone’s esthetics. This also makes it a great gift choice.
Aside from looking good, this mug also performs well.
Like other models on this list, it uses a vacuum as an insulator. But, there’s also a copper foil wrapped around the inner layer.
This reflects heat and helps the mug keep your drink at a steady temperature for around six hours. That gives you enough time to run all your errands while sipping on your nice warm cup of joe.
There are three sizes to choose from: 12, 16 and 18 ounces. The first one is suitable for people that want to drink espresso on the go. The second is better for cold brews and teas. Finally, the last one is for those who drink tons of coffee throughout the day.
The mug features a flip-open lid with an air vent on the mouthpiece. What this does is it helps you drink without causing your coffee to overflow.
It also features a safety lock that keeps your drink safe from spilling regardless of how much you shake or knock over the mug.
- Three size options allow you to pick the model that suits your needs the best
- There are 24 colors and patterns to choose from, so you can pick the mug that stands out to you the most
- A safety lock lets you can carry it in your backpack without worrying about spillages
- A 5 year warranty on heat retention gives you peace of mind knowing you can always replace a faulty product
- Might be too tall to fit under some coffee makers
Hydro Flask Coffee Travel Mug
This tumbler has such a simple design, yet it’s definitely eye-catching.
That’s partly due to all the beautiful colors it comes in. There are 11 options to choose from, so you can find a model that matches your outfit.
There are also three size options: 12, 16 and 18 ounces. The first one is for those that drink short, concentrated coffee, while the other two are for those that like to sip their java for hours.
Which you can, because Hydro Flask keeps the temperature steady for hours.
If you hate dishwashing, don’t worry. All the parts can be placed on the top rack of your dishwasher, so you don’t have to spend your time at the sink.
But if you need to wash it manually, it’s good to know the tumbler is wide enough to be cleaned without a brush.
The opening makes it easy for you to drink your coffee on the go without any spilling accidents. But if you prefer sipping through a straw, there’s also a wide mouth lid that you can buy separately.
- There are three sizes available, so you can pick the one that’s most suitable for your coffee intake
- Tons of color options let you find the one that fits your style the best
- A flex strap allows you to attach the tumbler to your bag so you can carry it hands free
- All parts are dishwasher safe, so cleaning and maintenance is a breeze
- You might have a hard time removing the lid for cleaning
Tlinna Coffee Thermos With LED Temperature Display
The first thing that caught my eye about this thermos is definitely the sleek design.
With a diameter of just 2.75 inches, this thermos is thinner than your umbrella. This means you can fit it in your car cup holder, as well as practically any pocket on your bag.
Another cool feature is the temperature display on the lid. It shows you the current temperature of your drink at any time, so you’ll know whether it’s still drinkable or if you need a refill.
If you prefer a simple design, you can get this thermos in black or white. But if you like colorful stuff, there are 4 other vivid colors to choose from. In any case, you can get it in the color that suits your personality the best.
The thermos is made of 316 stainless steel, which is corrosion resistant even when in contact with salt. So if you spend a lot of the time at the beach, you can safely use this thermos without worrying it will rust.
In addition to vacuum insulation, there’s also a copper foil around the inner layer, which reflects back the heat. Thanks to this, your drink stays hot for 12 and cold for 24 hours. So there’s more than enough time to drink your java while it’s still good.
- Sleek design allows you to store the thermos wherever, so you can always have your hands free
- The lid display shows you the drink temperature, so you always know whether it’s good to drink
- The 316 grade stainless steel means the thermos won’t rust even when in contact with salty water
- If you’re not happy with it, you can return it in the first 30 days free of charge, which gives you peace of mind
- The 17 ounce capacity might be too small for heavy coffee drinkers
IRON °FLASK Nomad Tumbler
Whenever I switch to cold brew or iced coffee, I need to use a straw.
Call me nitpicky, but I simply can’t sip cold drinks without it.
But I’m sure I’m not the only one.
For that reason, I had to include a product with a straw lid. And this one by Iron Flask caught my eye.
Not going to lie, the first thing I noticed about this tumbler is the color range.
26 color options? That’s unreal!
You could even find a tumbler to match your kitchen tiles, if that’s what you wanted.
It comes in four sizes: 16, 20, 24 and 28 ounces. So whether you’re a casual or heavy coffee drinker, you can find a suitable size.
Your drink stays hot for 5 and cold for up to 20 hours, which is more than enough time for you to gulp it down.
You get two lid options: a flip and a straw lid. The first one is leak-proof and a must for hot coffee. But if you like to sip cold drinks through a straw, you can always put the other lid on.
- Comes with two lids, so you can drink cold coffee through a straw if you prefer
- Plenty of color options allow you to choose a tumbler that suits your style
- There are four sizes available, so you can pick the one that’s large enough for the amount of coffee you drink
- If you’re not happy with the tumbler, you can get a full refund or an exchange, so rest assured you won’t get ripped off
- Certain colors differ from the pictures and aren’t as vivid in real life
Greens Steel BEAST Insulated Coffee Cup with Lid
This tumbler comes in a beautiful gift box, so if a fellow coffee lover has a birthday coming up, here’s something you could get them.
Now, what’s in the box?
The main thing is, obviously, a tumbler. You can choose between a 20, 30 or 40 ounce option.
Plus, there are tons of colors available. This means you can choose the perfect combo for the person you’re giving it to.
Or for yourself, for that matter.
I love that you also get two straws – a curved and a wide flat one. The first one is for regular coffee, while the other is for smoothies.
You also get a straw brush, which makes cleaning them a way easier task.
If you’re drinking hot coffee, you can switch to a flip-open lid. It’s splash-free and shatterproof, so even if you knock over your drink, there’s a 0% chance of making a mess.
The tumbler is narrower at the bottom, so it fits most car cup holders. It’s great to be able to use it while driving, especially during long road trips.
If you get this tumbler as a gift and the receiver doesn’t like it, don’t worry. You can always return it and get a full refund. This guarantees everyone ends up satisfied no matter what.
- Two straw options allow you to drink anything from coffee to smoothies and shakes
- The lid is shatterproof, so it won’t break even if you drop it on the floor
- A 100% satisfaction guarantee means you get your money back if you’re not happy
- All parts are dishwasher-safe, so keeping it clean is effortless
- There’s no bumper around the straw, so it makes a noise when you move it around
S’well Stainless Steel Traveler
While most products on this list come in a variety of colors, they can’t compare with this travel mug from S’well.
It’s one of those products that’s designed to grab the attention of everyone around you.
Sure, you’re paying a bit more for the design, but you can bet everyone in the office will be talking about your thermos for days.
There are four sizes: 12, 16, 20 and 40 ounces, so whatever your daily coffee intake is, there’s a size that’s just right for you.
The wide opening allows you to put ice cubes in it, so you can enjoy your iced coffee on the go too. This thermos is triple-layered, which allows it to keep your beverage hot for 12 or chilled for 24 hours. This makes it a great choice for sipping in the office or while traveling.
If you hate doing dishes, I’ve got some bad news – this thermos is not dishwasher safe.
Still, the wide opening allows you to easily wash it with a brush and a little bit of soap. Don’t worry – cleaning won’t take longer than a minute or two.
- Tons of different patterns mean you’ll have a unique thermos that catches the eye of everyone present
- From 12 to 40 ounces, you can find a model that’s the perfect size for you
- Wide mouth allows you to add ice cubes and wash the inside with zero effort
- Triple insulation keeps your drink hot for 12 or cold for 24 hours, so you can practically sip it throughout the whole day
- All parts have to be washed manually, which can be annoying
An In-Depth Guide To Buying A Coffee Thermos
Aside from colors, does every coffee thermos look the same to you?
I don’t blame you.
At first, I didn’t see much difference either.
It took a lot of research to be able to differentiate the good ones from the bad ones.
Luckily for you, you don’t have to go through all that. I’m going to tell you everything I’ve learned about thermoses, to save you the trouble.
Here are all the things you need to focus on when buying a thermos in order to make the right choice.
Insulation determines how long a thermos will maintain the temperature of your drink.
That goes for both hot and cold beverages.
There are tons of different insulating options available, but the best one, hands down, has got to be vacuum.
As you know, thermal insulation decreases the heat flow from one object to another. In the case of a thermos, that means from the inner to the outer wall.
So why is a vacuum the best insulator?
Well, a vacuum is a void – space without matter. In other words, there’s nothing that can transfer the heat between the inner and outer wall of the thermos.
You’ll find thermoses made of all kinds of materials, from plastic to different types of metal.
But your main goal is to keep your coffee hot, isn’t it?
That’s why you should narrow down your search to stainless steel thermoses only.
Stainless steel can be used for both hot and cold drinks, it doesn’t retain odors and it resists corrosion.
What more can you ask for!?
As you probably know, stainless steel is an alloy made of iron, chromium and other elements. Its grade depends on specific elements added to the mixture. The most common grades you’ll see used for making a thermos are 304 and 316.
These numbers might seem confusing. But the only thing you really need to know about these steel grades is that they’re both highly resistant to corrosion.
The first one, however, might corrode if it comes into contact with salt.
Generally, this isn’t something you should be concerned about, unless you spend a lot of time at the seaside. In that case, I’d definitely recommend going for a thermos made of 316 stainless steel. It will last you a lifetime.
From 16 ounces to half a gallon, you can find a thermos in practically any size.
But which one should you go for?
Think about the situations you’re going to be using it in.
For daily walks and strolls around the mall, 16 to 33 ounces is more than enough.
A larger thermos is great for work or long road trips. It’s also perfect for picnics and sharing your coffee with your date.
If you like to drink while driving (coffee of course), make sure your thermos fits the cup holder in your car. Depending on the shape, a large thermos might not be suitable.
If you want to bring liquid coffee to a plane, you have to pack it inside a liquid bag. You’ll either have to use a small sealed cup or a thermos, to prevent spilling.
Let’s be real, design matters – whether we’re buying a car or a toilet paper holder.
And a thermos is no different.
First, let’s talk about the lid.
A traditional thermos has an air-locking lid which is further covered with an exterior lid that doubles as a cup. In terms of spill resistance, it hardly gets any safer than this.
Then, you’ve got screw on and snap on caps, which are also spill resistant. They usually feature a slide or flip top opening for drinking, so you don’t have to remove the whole thing.
Finally, certain models come with a press button. You just push it open when you need to take a sip, and then close it.
Aside from the lid, another feature to keep in mind is the handle.
Is it necessary?
Not really. But it’s a cool thing to have, depending on your activities.
For hiking or walking your dog, a handle can be quite useful, and not just for holding. It allows you to attach your thermos to a backpack or a belt and go hands-free.
It seems like there’s an unwritten rule that pretty things are high maintenance.
I’ve got tons of personal examples, from my beautiful velvet sofa from IKEA to an Alocasia plant that behaves like it’s allergic to tap water.
There are tons of beautiful thermos models on the market that are painfully hard to keep clean. If the parts are hard, or even impossible to separate, that’s your cue to avoid a specific model.
Now, most stainless steel models are dishwasher safe. Personally, I love all things that can be thrown on the upper rack and made clean with a simple push of a button.
But in most cases, there’s no reason to put your thermos through a long washing cycle. You can easily clean it yourself with a little bit of mild soap and water.
And of course, unless you have really tiny hands, you’ll need a brush to reach the bottom.
There are tons of things to say about coffee thermoses, and I barely scratched the surface.
Here are some other things you might be wondering that are unrelated to its features.
How Do I Get The Smell Out Of My Thermos?
Stainless steel can sometimes retain an odor.
But don’t worry, that’s easily fixed.
Just put a spoon of baking soda in your thermos and fill it with water. Close the lid, then shake it a few times to mix the ingredients. Then, let it sit for a few hours.
Rinse, and voila!
No more smell.
Can I Add Milk To The Coffee In My Thermos?
It’s not recommended to add milk to the coffee in your thermos because it might cause bacterial growth.
Then, unless you wash it extremely well, those bacteria can remain inside your thermos.
So I’d say it’s probably best to skip the lattes, macchiatos and cappuccinos in your thermos.
If you choose to do it anyway, make sure it stays above 140ºF, because cooler temperatures cause bacteria to grow like crazy.
Can I Use Bleach To Clean It?
Bleach can damage stainless steel, and plus, it’s really unnecessary.
If you’re struggling to get your thermos clean with dish soap, you can try using vinegar or baking soda instead.
The Final Verdict
There are tons of options out there when it comes to choosing a coffee thermos.
But you should always put a vacuum-insulated stainless steel model above all others.
In our case, the Stanley Classic Vacuum Insulated Wide Mouth Bottle proves to be the perfect pick.
It’s affordable, keeps your brew at a constant temperature for the whole day, and it features a cup that doubles as a mug.
What else can you ask for?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?