Coffee is not supposed to be drunk in a single sip.
But if you’re a really slow drinker, then you’ve probably been in a situation to throw away half a carafe of cold coffee.
What if I told you that you can avoid that by getting a thermal coffee maker, which can keep your java hot for hours?
Now, there are tons of models on the market that claim to do just that. So I’ll save you time by narrowing down the list to 9 models that do it the best.
Let’s get to the point!
Best Thermal Coffee Maker: Our Top 9 Picks
- Technivorm Moccamaster 79112 KBT (Best Overall)
- Cuisinart Stainless Steel Thermal Coffee maker (Best Design)
- BUNN BT BT Speed Brew 10-Cup Thermal Carafe Home Coffee Brewer (Best For High Altitudes)
- Mr. Coffee 10 Cup Coffee Maker | Optimal Brew Thermal System (Best Value For Money)
- Bonavita 5 Cup Coffee Maker with Thermal Carafe One-Touch Pour Over Brewing (Simplest To Operate)
- BLACK+DECKER CM2045B-1, 12-Cup (Budget Option)
- OXO Brew 8 Cup Coffee Maker, Stainless Steel (Most Compact Design)
- Breville BDC450BSS Precision Brewer Thermal Coffee Maker (Most Options Available)
- KRUPS ET351 Coffee Maker (Longest Heat Retaining Ability)
Technivorm Moccamaster 79112 KBT Coffee Brewer
I instantly fell in love with the way this brewer looks. It’s sleek and modern, and it will look beautiful on any countertop. But aside from appearance, this model has definitely much more to offer.
This coffee brewer is by no means difficult to operate. The copper boiling element heats up water to ideal brewing temperature which is between 196 to 205 degrees Fahrenheit. This assures you always get an optimally extracted cup of java.
The basket features manual control. You can fully open it for brewing the entire carafe or let your coffee steep slower when making 4 to 6 cups. Alternatively, you can close it to remove the carafe for a quick pour mid-brewing.
To be honest, there’s really no need to grab a cup mid-process, considering how fast this brewer is. It takes no more than 6 minutes to get a 40-ounce carafe full. By the time you’re dressed up in the morning, the coffee is ready for the entire family.
- Brews an entire carafe in only 6 minutes, so you don’t have to wait long for your morning kick
- Shuts down automatically after brewing to avoid safety hazards
- Comes with a travel lid that keeps your coffee warm for hours
- Comes with a 5-year warranty, so you can rest assured you’ll get your money’s worth
- Doesn’t have manual brewing programs
Cuisinart Stainless Steel Thermal Coffee maker
If you want to have more control over the coffee-making process, then you’ll like the programmability of this model by Cuisinart.
I absolutely love the brew strength control, as it allows you to choose between regular or bold coffee. And we all know that some mornings require that “bold” cup to get you going.
This is a 12-cup coffee maker, but if it’s just you and your spouse, you can choose the 1-4 cup setting instead. Then, if you feel like drinking coffee late in the day, brew some more.
In fact, the 24-hour program allows you to time your next brewing. Whether you want your coffee to be ready as soon as you get home or first thing in the morning – this coffee maker can do it.
Finally, I must mention the fact that this coffee maker comes in different colors, from matte black to copper. So no matter the color of your kitchen appliances, you can get a matching brewer.
- Tons of color options, so you can find the model that fits your kitchen color scheme
- Brew strength control allows you to make your coffee as strong as you like it
- With a 24-hour program, you can set your coffee to be done exactly when you want it
- A carafe will keep your coffee piping hot for over 4 hours
- Not the best customer service out there
BUNN BT BT Speed Brew 10-Cup Thermal Carafe Home Coffee Brewer
If you’re living at 5,000 feet or more above sea level, then the standard coffee brewers won’t work that well for you.
Like I mentioned before, the optimal brewing temperature is between 195 and 205 degrees Fahrenheit. But at high altitudes, water boils faster and at lower temperatures.
That’s where this guy steps in. This Bunn model features a stainless steel internal tank. What it does is keep the water heated to optimal brewing temperature for high altitudes. So you can forget you’ve ever drunk a burnt coffee in your life.
This is quite a speedy coffee brewer. In just 3 minutes, it makes as much as a full 10-cup carafe. In other words, your coffee is done by the time you get your cups ready.
Aside from that, this is a pretty simple coffee maker. It doesn’t have tons of bells and whistles as some models on this list. Still, it does a really good job at making coffee, which is its primary role.
- Designed to be used at altitudes above 5,000 feet, where water boils at lower temperatures
- The sprayhead design assures you get optimal coffee extraction every time
- Makes an entire carafe of coffee in just 3 minutes, which is half the time most other models take
- Aside from coffee, you can also use it to make tea
- Not ideal for lower altitudes
Mr. Coffee 10 Cup Coffee Maker | Optimal Brew Thermal System
This model by Mr. Coffee is proof that a decent thermal coffee maker doesn’t have to cost a fortune. For a rather affordable price, you get a machine that will make a satisfying cup of coffee every morning.
If you want to wake up to the smell of freshly brewed coffee, the Brew Later feature allows you to set up a timer 24 hours in advance.
Or if you want your coffee right away, it will take no more than 5 minutes to brew an entire carafe. If that’s too long to wait, you can grab a cup in the middle of the process, thanks to the auto-pause function.
I love the Freshness Timer feature, because it lets you know how long it has been since the coffee was brewed. This assures you don’t need to take a sip to find out if the coffee became stale.
But what I love the most is the auto-cleaning function. Just pour water and vinegar solution and by the time a 45-minute cycle is done, your machine will be like new.
- Brew Later feature lets you plan your next coffee up to 24 hours in advance
- The Strong Brew selector allows you to make your coffee as strong as you like it
- The auto-cleaning function does all the dirty cleaning, so you don’t have to
- Compared to most models on this list, this one is less likely to break your budget
- A bit bulky, so it will take up more space on your counters
Bonavita 5 Cup Coffee Maker with Thermal Carafe One-Touch Pour Over Brewing, BV1500TS
The first thing I’ve noticed about this Bonavita coffee maker is the showerhead. It’s wide enough to evenly distribute over the coffee grounds for the perfect extraction. That’s one of the most important features of any coffee machine, and this one definitely nailed the design.
Of course, uniform flavor extraction couldn’t be done without properly heated water. Well, this model achieves the Golden Cup Standard by maintaining the optimal brewing temperature.
One unique feature this model has is the pre-infusion mode. It’s optional, and it allows you to saturate freshly roasted ground coffee before brewing. This allows degassing, which assures your coffee is evenly extracted and reaches optimal flavor and aroma.
But the best thing about this coffee maker has got to be the ease of cleaning. The carafe lid, filter basket, and showerhead are all dishwasher-safe, so just put them on the top rack and wait for the cycle to be done. These parts will come out clean without a fuss.
- Thanks to the large showerhead, your coffee will always be evenly extracted
- Pre-infusion mode releases gasses from roasted coffee and assures optimal taste and smell
- The machine shuts down after use, so you don’t have to worry about potential fire hazards
- All removable parts are dishwasher-safe, so you don’t have to do the cleaning yourself
- Takes up lots of space on the counter
BLACK+DECKER CM2045B-1, 12-Cup
Just by looking at the design, you might think that this is an extremely pricey coffee maker. Well, you would be wrong. This is one of the most affordable models on this list, yet its performance is at par with more expensive products.
This is a fully programmable coffee maker. Whether you want your coffee right away or tomorrow morning – you can set the exact hour and minute you want the brewing to be done.
Aside from the timer, this model also has a Brew Strength Selector. This means that you can slow down the brewing process to get that extra strong cup of coffee to start the day right.
The thermal carafe is sleek and features a spout designed to avoid spilling when pouring coffee. It has a 4-layer vacuum seal that keeps your coffee burning hot for up to 2 hours. A bit shorter than some models, but that’s enough time to go through the entire carafe.
Finally, I need to mention the auto-clean mode. I’m a sucker for coffee machines that do the job themselves, and I’m sure I’m not the only one.
- For the price it sells at, you’re unlikely to find a product with more functions
- A 24-hour timer allows you to plan your next coffee up to a whole day in advance
- Brew strength function allows you to slow down pouring to get a really strong cup of coffee
- It features an auto-clean mode as well as an alert that lets you know it’s time to do the cleaning cycle
- Looks a bit cheap compared to other models on this list
OXO Brew 8 Cup Coffee Maker, Stainless Steel
I love when a coffee machine looks modern, and this model by OXO surely has such an appearance. But it’s also slender and can easily fit on cramped counters and in small kitchens. This also makes it great for RVs.
This is an 8-cup coffee maker, but it also has a single-serving capability. So whether you have guests over or it’s just you, this machine can make just the right amount of coffee you need.
Thanks to the removable well cover, you can take out the carafe and pour coffee into a cup or a travel mug instead.
While I can live without them, I love when products come with accessories. In this case, that’s 10 paper coffee filters and a coffee scoop. If you don’t already have these at home, at least you don’t have to rush to the store for the first 10 brews.
Nothing less worth mentioning is the auto-cleaning model. In just 25 minutes, it descales and cleans your machine from any debris. Plus, all the removable parts (except the carafe) are dishwasher-safe!
- You can make as much coffee as you need in a single brew, from a single to 8 cups
- Auto-clean mode and dishwasher-safe safe you from a tedious cleaning session
- Slim, compact design allows you to fit this coffee maker in practically any part of your kitchen
- A removable well cover allows you to pour directly into any cup you want
- Not a lot of functions
Breville BDC450BSS Precision Brewer Thermal, Coffee Maker, Brushed Stainless Steel
This model by Breville has tons of options for those that like to play around with their brew. Why drink the same coffee everyday when you try out new things?
There are 6 preset options: Gold, Fast, Strong, Iced, Cold Brew, and My Brew. The last one allows you to choose precise brew temperature and 1of 3 flow rates to get that perfect cup of coffee.
But if you feel lazy doing that, you can go with any of the other presets instead.
The Gold Cup preset mode automatically adjusts the water temperature and brew time to SCA set standards. Of course, there are also Iced and Cold Brew, which you don’t often see on coffee makers.
I love the fact that you get both flat and a cone filter basket with this coffee maker. No matter which one you prefer, you don’t have to worry about buying it separately. You also get water hardness test strips that allow you to test your tap water before using it.
- With 6 presets, you can make your coffee in numerous ways
- My Brew mode allows you to adjust everything from flow to temperature
- The coffee maker comes with both flat and cone filter baskets, so you can use the one you prefer
- With a 2-year limited warranty, you can rest assured you get what you pay for
- Doesn’t keep your coffee hot as long as other models
KRUPS ET351 Coffee Maker, Coffee Programmable Maker, Thermal Carafe, 12 Cup, Black
A good thermal coffee maker needs to be able to keep your coffee hot for a long time. And that’s where this model by Krups performs really well. Even after 4 hours, you’ll barely be able to tell the difference in temperature from the moment coffee was brewed.
This 12-cup coffee machine is fully programmable, meaning you can set it up to make coffee whenever you need it the most. Be it morning or afternoon, you can set up the exact time you want the brewing to be done.
What makes coffee from this machine exceptionally great is the gold-tone filter. It lets some of the oil through, which assures your coffee is rich and intense. If you find that coffee is not as strong as you’d like, then use the Bold button to make it more up your alley.
In time, your coffee maker will need to be descaled. Luckily, this model has an auto-cleaning mode, so you don’t have to do it yourself.
- The thermal carafe keeps your coffee hot for 4 hours, which is more than enough to drink the last sip
- A Bold button allows you to make your coffee stronger and more full-bodied
- It features an auto-cleaning program and gives you a display message when you should do it
- Comes with a gold-tone filter which gives a rich and intense cup of java
- The odd shape of the carafe makes it hard to get the last sip out of it
Things To Consider When Shopping For A Thermal Coffee Maker
At the first glance, these coffee machines might look pretty much the same.
A thermal carafe, a button or two, and a water reservoir…
Well, there are different features that make models different one from another.
In this section, we’ll go over those characteristics.
Think about how many people you’ll be serving on a regular basis. If the entire household lives on coffee, then you should consider getting a large model that makes 10 on more cups at a time.
If it’s just you, on the other hand, then look for a model that also has an option to make 1 to 4 cups instead of the whole carafe.
The best thermal coffee makers will allow you to brew coffee at a temperature ranging from 195 to 205 degrees Fahrenheit.
Here’s why that’s important.
A coffee that’s brewed at a lower temperature doesn’t extract properly, so it turns out to be thin and with a weak aroma.
On the other hand, making coffee at a too high temperature will cause over-extraction and a burnt taste.
You, of course, want neither. You’re here to find a model that will get you that perfect cup of coffee.
To assure the coffee maker you choose can do that, look for an SCA certificate.
It’s given only to those models that meet their rigorous technical requirements, like proper temperature and brewing time.
Some coffee makers have tons of options that let you take control over the brewing process. So, for instance, you can set your cup of coffee to be ready when you wake up the next morning. Or, you can choose how strong you want your brew to be.
Certain models go a step further and let you slow down the seeping process, to get that extra flavorful and rich cup of java.
If we compare it to glass, thermal carafes are much harder to clean. Even though it’s called “stainless,” steel can actually get stained by coffee and tea. This means you’ll have to clean it properly when that happens, but avoid tools that can scratch it.
What’s even worse is that most thermal carafes have rather small openings, so reaching inside can be tricky. If you find this to be too much of a nuisance, consider going with a model that has a dishwasher-safe carafe.
The rest of your coffee maker is no less important. Certain models feature an auto-clean function that descales the interior by itself. If your machine doesn’t have this option, you’ll have to do it yourself.
To Sum Things Up
There are basic and there are complex coffee makers. And then, there’s Technivorm Moccamaster.
That’s a great machine that’s easy to operate and has everything you need in a thermal coffee maker. It brews an entire carafe in just a couple of minutes and comes with a travel lid that can keep your coffee hot for a very long time.
It might not play you a “good morning” song, but this coffee maker has everything you need to start the day.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?