Did your Braun coffee maker lately brew coffee that tastes… off?
Or is it brewing too slow?
These could be signs that your coffee maker needs a good cleaning.
Don’t worry, this is not difficult at all.
And after the cleaning, your machine will work as well as new.
Follow these simple steps and learn how to clean Braun coffee maker.
How to Clean a Braun Coffee Maker: An Easy Guide
Braun makes good machines that last long.
But, even the best machine needs some maintenance and cleaning from time to time. It is necessary if you want to keep the taste and quality of your coffee.
Also, it will prolong your coffee maker’s lifespan.
Here’s the deal:
Over time, limescale is building up inside of your coffee maker.
When there is limescale inside of your coffee maker, every time you are brewing a coffee, some of it ends up in your cup. And even a small amount of limescale is really a nasty addition to your cup of joe.
Besides that, it makes build-ups inside of the machine and slows it down, potentially causing permanent damage.
Next, while brewing, coffee produces essential oils, which stick to the inside of the coffee maker and affect the taste of all the later brewings.
And last, leftover dampness in the coffee maker helps the growth of bacteria and mold, and that is a real health hazard!
Signs that your coffee maker needs cleaning:
- the green CLEAN light is on
- odd taste of your coffee
- the brewing process takes too long
- the coffee is not hot enough
- the coffee maker gets a little loud while brewing
What Do You Need
All you need is a good descaling solution.
Braun recommends their own cleaning solution, but there are plenty of other commercial options out on the market as good as Brauns.
Also, some household products like lemon juice, baking soda, and white vinegar can also do the trick.
Besides that, you will need a clean cloth.
Are you ready?
Then follow my lead, and let’s clean your coffee machine!
- Remove charcoal water filter holder and permanent filter. The brew basket should stay in.
- Follow the instructions on the package of Braun descaling solution, and dilute it in the water.
- Pour diluted descaling solution into the water tank.
- Put the empty carafe in its place
- Press the CLEAN button, and it should start flashing. For some Braun coffee maker models, you need to press BREW button after, to start the cleaning program.
- When you start a cleaning program, you can’t stop it until it’s finished. It takes about 45 minutes.
- When the green LED light turns off, the program is finished.
- Discard dirty cleaning solution from the carafe, and clean the carafe thoroughly.
- Run two or three brewing processes with fresh, clean water to wash out any cleaning solution leftovers from the coffee maker.
- Use a clean cloth to wipe the keep-warm plate and the rest of the exterior. Also, you can soak all the removable parts (filter holder, filter basket, etc) in a diluted descaling solution to remove all leftover coffee ground.
And, voila, your coffee maker is sparkling clean!
How Often Should You Clean Your Braun Coffee Maker?
How often you should clean your coffee maker depends on how hard your water is and how often you use your coffee maker.
Hard water contains a high concentration of minerals like calcium, which produces limescale. Tap water is usually hard, so you can use filtered water to slow down the process of limescale buildup.
The water filter is a very important part that determines the hardness of the water.
Ideally, you should change it every two months. But, if your water is very hard, do it more often.
Conveniently, the Braun coffee maker warns you when it needs cleaning. But, besides that, you should take care of it on a regular basis.
You should wash the carafe, brew basket, and permanent filter after every brew cycle. Warm soapy water should be enough.
Pay attention to the water tank, because of bacteria and mold. Once a week, run the water-only brewing cycle and leave it open to dry completely.
Speaking of the full cleaning process, you don’t need to wait for the green light to warn you. If you use your coffee machine daily, feel free to do it once a month.
Do you have more questions about your Braun drip coffee maker?
Keep on reading!
How to change the Braun coffee maker charcoal water filter?
To change the charcoal filter on the Braun coffee machine, you first need to soak the new filter in the water for 15 minutes. Then, take out the old filter, clean the filter holder and place the new filter in the holder. Close it, and put the filter holder back in place.
Can I use vinegar to clean my Braun coffee maker?
Yes, you can! Vinegar is a great option for descaling. Also, it kills germs and bacteria.
It’s also much cheaper, and you probably have it at your home already.
To make a vinegar solution, just mix white or apple cider vinegar with water in 1:3 proportion.
How long does a Braun coffee maker last?
Braun appliances are of high quality. But you need to take care of it regularly. The average life span of it is about 5-7 years.
But, if you take good care of it, the Braun coffee maker can last up to 10 years.
Cleaning your coffee maker on a regular basis is essential if you want to extend its life.
Clean removable parts after every brewing, and run a full cleaning cycle once in a month or two.
If you take care of it properly, it should serve you well for years.
Want to use the full potential of your coffee maker? A proper coffee filter significantly affects the taste of your coffee. Check out our article and choose the best filter for your coffee maker.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?