TL;DR? The Nespresso Evoluo is the clear winner in this battle.
Once upon a time, the only line of Nespresso machines on the market was the OriginalLine.
With the launch of the Evoluo and the VertuoLine, however, you have a lot more to choose from.
With both these newer devices having some pretty snazzy features, it can be tough to know which one to pick.
Lucky for you I’ve done the research and put together a comprehensive guide to help you out.
Keep reading to check out everything you need to know about the Nespresso Evoluo vs Vertuo.
Nespresso Evoluo Overview
The Evoluo machine launched in 2015 and was basically an updated version of the Vertuo machine.
The machine features centrifugation Spinning technology. This system extracts coffee from the Nespresso pod by reading the barcode.
The configuration of the scanning system is automatic, so there’s no additional interaction on the part of the user.
The Evoluo coffee maker comes in five different colors:
As for the drinks you can make, there are five different coffee options on the machine:
- 1.35oz espresso
- 2.7 oz double espresso
- 5oz large lungo
- 8oz coffee
- 14 oz coffee jar
The Evoluo, like other Nespresso machines, can be paired with an attachable milk frother. That way, if you don’t just want to make the five aforementioned drinks, you can also make cappuccinos and lattes.
- The settings are adjusted automatically, so you don’t need to constantly recalibrate your machine.
- It has larger deposits for used capsules and water, so you won’t have to empty it out or refill the water tank as up often.
- Automatically shuts off after nine minutes, so it helps save power and is environmentally friendly.
- Fast heating and preparation time, so you don’t have to wait around for a long time to brew your coffee.
- It’s heavier and bulkier, so it takes up a lot more counter space
- It’s only compatible with Vertuo capsules and not Original ones, so you’ll have limited pod options to pick from
Nespresso Vertuo Overview
The Nespresso VertuoLine coffee machine was released in the US 2014, but since then the line has expanded into Europe and other areas as well.
What’s interesting about Nespresso VertuoLine machines is that there are actually three different types of machines:
- Nespresso VertuoPlus
- Nespresso Vertuo Next
- Nespresso Vertuo Standard
For the purpose of this article, we’ll be talking about the Vertuo Standard. This is the most affordable and common Vertuo machine.
The Vertuo coffee maker uses centrifugation spinning and barcode reading technology. This way the machine knows exactly what type of drink to brew.
Vertuo machines come in five different colors, including:
- Glossy black
- Matte black
In terms of the drinks, you can make five different beverages:
- 1.35 oz espresso
- 2.7 oz double espresso
- 5oz large lungo
- 8oz coffee
- 14 oz coffee jar
- It’s a lightweight and compact machine, so you don’t need a ton of kitchen space to use it.
- The settings are adjusted automatically, so you don’t have to recalibrate the machine frequently.
- Makes up to five different drink sizes, so you can enjoy coffee in a number of different ways.
- Is more affordable than other Nespresso machines, so it might be a good option for those on a budget.
- The container for water and used capsules is a bit small, so you’ll need to empty and refill them pretty frequently.
- The water doesn’t heat up too much, so the drinks tend to be a bit on the cooler side.
Nespresso Evoluo vs Vertuo: Features Compared
Now that you’ve got a better idea of the Evoluo and the Vertuo individually, let’s compare the two.
Despite the fact that they’ve got quite a few differences, there are also a few similarities.
Here’s a breakdown of the features of these machines.
The Nespresso VertuoLine is a simple, light, and small coffee machine with five color options for you to pick from.
It doesn’t take up a whole lot of counter space and is actually small enough that you could also keep it on an office desk.
In contrast, the Evoluo machine is slightly bigger. This is mostly thanks to the larger pod disposal and water reservoir on the machine. Thanks to those added features, the Evoluo is a bit harder to fit into smaller kitchens.
Like Vertuo, Evoluo comes in five different colors.
However, it has a much boxier appearance than Vertuo. While this doesn’t affect the machine’s functionality, it might change which one looks good in your kitchen.
Winner: When it comes to design, the Nespresso Vertuo coffee maker is the winner.
Regarding the sizes of the cups, both machines have room for five different cup sizes:
- A 1.35-ounce espresso shot
- A double 2.7-ounce espresso shot
- A 5-ounce coffee
- An 8-ounce standard cup of coffee
- A large 14-ounce cup of coffee
Vertuo and Evoluo work with Nespresso Vertuo capsules, which come in a ton of roasts, flavors, and sizes.
Just make sure to check the size of the brew on the box of pods. That way, you’ll know exactly which one to pick up.
Winner: In terms of cup size, both the Evoluo and the Vertuo are much the same. In other words, for this feature, they’re tied.
With Nespresso machines, the brewing systems are mostly reduced to inserting a capsule and pressing a button. In less than a minute, your taste buds are being treated to a caffeinated beverage!
While both the Vertuo and Evoluo machines use this capsule system, they differ a bit from the Original Nespresso machines.
What sets these machines apart is that they use a spinning centrifugation system that reads barcodes on the coffee pods.
The barcodes tell the machine how long to pull the shot as well as what type of coffee is being brewed.
Note: The wattage of the machines can affect the machine’s extraction system. If the machine’s nominal power falls below 1350 watts due to wear and tear, it won’t put out a good beverage.
Although Evoluo and Vertuo both feature the barcode system, Evoluo’s technology is slightly more advanced.
One way it’s more advanced is that its water heater works about five seconds faster. As a result, the temperature of the drinks tends to be a bit warmer than that of the Vertuo. Some people have even complained that Vertuo’s drinks are lukewarm.
Winner: When looking at the brewing system, the Evoluo comes out as the winner.
Cleaning & Maintenance
Cleaning and maintenance are a big part of making sure your Nespresso coffee machine lasts for a long time.
That’s true regardless of whether you’re thinking of buying the Vertuo or the Evoluo.
Both the Vertuo and Evoluo machines have built-in, automatic cleaning and descaling systems. For these systems, you’ll need to purchase a special Nespresso descaling kit.
The descaling kit contains a specially formulated chemical fluid. This fluid removes silt and minerals from your Nespresso machine. Since traditional soaps or mixtures such as vinegar or lemon can damage them, it’s important to pick up this cleaning kit.
With your cleaning kit in hand, you can start cleaning:
- Pop the descaling capsule into your Nespresso machine and run a descaling cycle.
- Wipe down the exterior of the machine with warm water and a clean cloth.
- Rinse out the drip tray and water tank.
- Rinse out the milk frother if you have one.
Both machines use the same descaling cycle.
Fun Fact: how frequently you need to clean your machines varies depending on how close to sea level you’re located! Closer to sea level the air quality is different, which can affect how quickly your machine gets dirty.
Winner: In terms of cleaning and maintenance, the Nespresso Vertuo and Evoluo are tied.
Both the Nespresso VertuoLine and the Nespresso Evoluo have a couple of stand-out features that really make them worth the purchase.
For the Nespresso Evoluo, it’s the speed and temperature of preparation.
The Evoluo has the ability to prepare drinks in as little as fifteen seconds, preserving the high temperature of the water at the same time.
In terms of stand-out features on the Vertuo, the bonus feature is that it’s made out of ecological materials.
If your goal is to reduce your impact on the environment, this is a great way to go.
Winner: In terms of bonus features, the Evoluo comes out the winner thanks to its fast prep time.
The Final Verdict
While Vertuo and Evoluo are both great machines, Evoluo comes out as the clear winner.
Not only does this coffee maker has a bigger water reservoir and larger pod disposal, Evoluo also got a lot of improved Vertuo technology, such as an improved water heater and faster barcode system.
Still, both machines are great depending on what your situation is.
Use the Vertuo if:
- You have limited kitchen space
- You’re wanting a more budget-friendly option
- The machine won’t be serving more than a few cups of coffee a day
Use the Evoluo if:
- You want premium technology features
- You’re looking to make a lot of coffee at a time
- You don’t want to wait a long time for your coffee to brew
So, in summary? Add the Vertuo to your cart if you’re looking for a small and affordable machine.
But, if you want the best Nespresso coffee machine on the market, opt for the Evoluo.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?